For close to three decades, High Oaks, Inc. has served a six-state region (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, DC) as a philanthropic organization for Christian Scientists. It was incorporated for this purpose in 1993.
Our bylaws state the purpose of High Oaks is to provide benevolence to individuals relying on God through the application of Christian Science for healing, and to support the office of the Christian Science nurse in accordance with Article VIII, Section 31 of the Church Manual by Mary Baker Eddy. Currently, our office is located in Victoria Mills, Springfield, PA.
We originally were a Christian Science nursing facility. Our history dates back to 1938 when the Philadelphia community began to cherish the idea of providing a Christian Science nursing facility for the region. By 1947, the efforts of these Philadelphians led to the incorporation of “The Philadelphia Sanatorium” which was located at 1420 Walnut St. The purpose of the sanatorium was to provide Christian Science nursing care for individuals seeking healing in Christian Science. The organization received accreditation from The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts.
In the early 1950s, a building and adjoining property were purchased in the Mt. Airy neighborhood of Philadelphia. Inspired by the tall oak trees at the new site, “High Oaks, Inc.” was officially recognized as its new name. At this location, High Oaks offered Christian Science nursing care, assisted living care, visiting nurse services, opportunities for rest and study, as well as training for Christian Science nurses, for over four decades before the properties were sold and the organization was reestablished as a philanthropic organization.